Monday, May 14, 2012

Ecstasy


I was walking to school from the bus stop, and was waiting at the traffic light to cross the road. A few metres away from me was this old man, rather raggedy, from what I can remember, and on a bicycle. In my drowsy state, i thought him a harmless, nice little guy.
Then, he started shouting at no one at all, not in an angry, but rather, the way one would scream when they have just conquered a mountain, all alone. Screaming, just because they can. I edged away from him - surely he wasn't in his right mind?
The green man started flashing, and I watched him while crossing the road. He had resumed his fit of supposed insanity, "Wooh!"-ing in exuberance, in ecstasy, as he weaved in and out of the cars on his bicycle.
I kept my eye on him until he could be seen no longer, disappearing amongst the mass of gilded vehicles. It seemed, he had come and gone, unperceived by all but me.
Reaching the other side, I realised it didn't matter what he had been shouting about, even it had been about nothing at all. He had given me a reason to feel. He had brightened up my morning. He had added just a bit more life to my dreary one. Hoping for me to share in his ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment